LinkedIn has two cool features which will really make your profile stand out from the crowd. So if you want to get noticed, here’s how to do it.
The first cool feature is a short audio clip. This sweet addition was introduced to remove stress for other people around how to pronounce your name. Useful if you’ve noticed people find it hard to say your name.
But you can use this feature to add any 10 second message. And you should. Audio lets others hear your voice. That makes your profile more human, more you.
Check out the audio on my profile. I thank people for visiting my profile and offer to help with their values-based communications needs, which is what my business is here for: www.linkedin.com/in/leigharnoldcommunications/
You can make your audio clip about anything that fits in with your work and personality. Just remember to keep it professional. This isn’t Tik Tok!
Check out the instructions below on how to add an audio clip.
The second feature is a personalised LinkedIn URL. This is a dynamite addition which many people don’t know about.
Most LinkedIn URLs are dreadful: hard-to-remember default URLs which combine your first and last names with a bunch of random numbers. Yuk.
A personalised URL gives you a cleaner, more professional image. And it’s another way to help you get noticed online.
Think about a few options for your personalised URL in case your first name last name option has been taken. Options include
Check out the instructions below on how to add this feature.
That’s it for now.
And remember, please do reach out if you ever need help bringing your values to life, through communications. I’m ready to help you.
Instructions: Adding a LinkedIn audio clip
- Get LinkedIn as an app on your smart phone.
- Open the app on your mobile.
- Click the little circle with your face in (top left).
- This will open a menu. Click ‘view profile’ below your name and your profile will come up.
- Under your banner image, opposite your circle headshot there is a pencil image. Click on that pencil. It’s the edit icon.
- On the ‘Edit intro’ box scroll down and click on ‘add name pronunciation’.
- This will ask you to allow access to the microphone for the LinkedIn app. Say yes, allow this.
- Press the microphone icon that comes up and hold it down for the entire 10 seconds (do not take your finger off).
- During those 10 seconds record your message.
- You can play and listen to it. You can also redo it by pressing ‘retake’.
- When you’re happy with it click save.
- You should now have a loud speaker icon next to your name. It plays when you click it. Nice one!!
Instructions: Adding a personalised LinkedIn URL
- Log into your LinkedIn profile on your computer/ laptop.
- Click on your name on the top left under your circular profile pic. This will take you to your Profile page.
- Click on “Edit public profile & URL” in the top right.
- Under “Edit your custom URL” in the top right click the little pen icon.
- Type your new words into the text box. Your custom URL can have 5-30 letters or numbers. No spaces, symbols, or special characters.
- Click Save.
- Note: I hear you can change your custom URL up to five times in six months. I wouldn’t recommend it. Choose a custom URL and stick to it.
- Go back to your Profile page and you’ll see your new URL.
- Update your LinkedIn link in email signatures, business cards, websites etc! Looking good ?